Report or Check an Outage
Downed Power Line Safety
Downed lines can kill. If you see a downed electric line, always assume it's live and deadly.
- Keep young children and pets away from fallen electric lines.
- Always keep at least 200 feet away from any downed line. The ground around a fallen power line may be energized and deadly.
- Stay where you are, including inside your vehicle, unless you see fire or smoke.
- Don't touch the downed line with your hand or any object – including sticks, brooms, or poles.
- Don't touch anything in contact with the power line, including cars, equipment, objects, or other people.
- Don't drive over a power line.
- Don't try to rescue someone touching a downed line – you could be injured or killed.